Monday, February 25, 2008

& the Oscar Goes to...

Well, the Oscars are over & the winners have been announced. Being an animator, plus the fact that I don't really care that much about "Best Makeup" or "Best Supporting So-&-So", my focus was mainly on the "Best Animated Feature" & "Best Animated Short" categories.

I'll start off with the shorts: Peter & the Wolf was the winner & I'm glad it was. I've always loved Peter & the Wolf (especially the music) & out of all the P&tW adaptations I've seen, this one is by far the best out of the bunch. I'm usually not that big a fan of stop-motion, but the animation in Peter & the Wolf blew me away.

As for the feature category, I was a bit mixed. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed Ratatouille, I believe that Persepolis really deserved the award. Sure, I think Ratatouille had some great animation (even for CG) & I think Brad Bird is a genius, but Persepolis has that certain something that I can't quite describe...

Eitherway, I'd like to say congrats to all the winners & nominees.

4 comments:

Eric Noble said...

Despite all the praise given to it, I'm not a big fan of "Rattatouille" (did I spell it right?). The story and the characters just never connected with me. I don't even watch the Oscars anymore. Cool post. Thanks for commenting on my blog. Did you check out that comic I mentioned in the post?

Michael J. Ruocco said...

Yes I did see the comic. Great stuff! The story & the artwork are fantastic. I wish I could draw like that, so appealing.

Thanks for the heads up on it, Weirdo! & Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike,
I'm glad Ratatouille won the oscar. It really was a great movie and I'm glad you gave me the opportunity to see it. I have the movie and my family loves it. That Disney Bastardization is funny! So, how is SVA?
Denise

Michael J. Ruocco said...

Hey Denise!

Don't get me wrong, I do like Ratatouille very much. It's a good film & I enjoy it thoroughly every time a see it. It's just that Persepolis had something more to say.

SVA is fine now. It seems that we've almost over the big bump of work we've had to do over these past few weeks, & hopefully it'll be smooth sailing 'til summertime.

Thanks for commenting!