Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Testing...1...2...4... I MEAN 3!

Starting my own blog has been on my mind for a long time now, but because of school, work, applying for college, etc., I've been putting it off (procrastination runs in the family) . It's been on the back-burner of my brain for so long now that I just thought "GET ON WITH IT, GODDAMNIT!" So here it is... kinda empty now, but hopefully over time it will grow.

Just to start things up, I'll begin an excercise I've done for a few years now. It's called "Make a REBOP". I know what you're thinking... what in God's name is a rebop, right?

A rebop is a creature made up of various animal parts. I ask people to pick various parts & I draw them lickety-split & see their reactions. I make rebops to hone my creative drawing skill. It's great training for me, plus I give them to people if they would like the creatures they helped create. Anyone can participate.

Here's how to do it: Each person gives me 8-10 animal parts. These parts can me heads, necks, torsos, arms, legs, feet, tails, & various other appendages (wings, horns, spikes, etc.) Everything is acceptable except the eyes, because I make them all the same (except if you want bug-like eyes). I see the list, draw the picture on paper, scan it into the computer & post it on this thread. I'll give it a Seussian-like name as an added bonus.

There's only one rule: no disgusting/suggestive parts.



To start this off, I'll post a few of my favorites from the past few weeks:


The Winged Norfcrockor (Lion's tail, gryphon's wings, serpent's tongue, panther's body, wolf head, dragon claws, ram horns, cow spots) The Glorpodox (Rhino tusk, gorilla torso, fox ears, 2 lion tails, snail tail, quills, moose antlers, tentacle arms)

The Glox Sproitesser (Impala horns, elephant feet, cricket legs, bug mouth, bee stinger, aardvark head, hippo ears, dragonfly wings)The Winged-Crawed Buzzlox (Griffin ears, bird wings, serpent body, elephant trunk, fish fin, crawdad legs, crab claws)It might take a day or two to get the reply, so be patient. I'll get to it ASAP. Enjoy!

5 comments:

John S. said...

Nice blog sir!!! Neat stuff! I love the little self portrait at the top the best!
Welcome to blogging!

OmegaEye said...

Dude you got some nice pics. wish i could draw. lol

Michael J. Ruocco said...

Robotaekwon-z, thanks for the props! I've admired your blog for some time now, & I appreciate your enthusiasm about mine.

OmegaEye, thanks again for the compliment. Your blog is awesome, too. I wish I could REALLY draw like you, but I just don't have that creative ability that you do.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike. very interesting blog. I;m looking forward to seeing your final project. You should talk a little more about the istory of the rock man. Are you going to donate it to the school? By the way, you never showed me that running shoe that you made. Give me a chnace! Ask Bishop if he has the web, or show it to him. Jason.

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome! I love how you took things that are totally different, then warped them together. Very nice work!

I was actually wondering if you could help me come up with some ideas for my petsite, bloorigard pets.
Message bloorigard-pets@live.co.uk if you're interested