Friday, March 13, 2009

The Recycling of Pinocchio's Fish

Its been a while since I've done anything remotely similar to the Disney's Gettin' Lazy videos. Part of me would like to go back & continue doing the videos again, & another wants me to just move on to new things. Still, I can't help spotting bits of reused animation when I watch a Disney movie. I almost do it unconsciously now. 

I picked up a copy of the new Pinocchio DVD (which is awesome, by the way), & noticed that some of the fish during the "Searching for Monstro" sequence looked familiar. 

The final shot of the scene was recycled in the "Walrus & the Carpenter" sequence of Alice in Wonderland, 11 years later.

 
(Click to Enlarge)

I think a lot of people knew about that one, but I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this one:

Coincidently, I was watching a few Goofy cartoons that I had on my iPod while on a train ride back from NYC. One of them was Goofy's Glider. After watching the Pinocchio DVD, the fish caught my eye again. Looking at the cartoon & the movie side by side, the fish looked the same (if not close). 

Both films were released in 1940, Pinocchio on February 9th & the Goofy short on November 22nd, about 9 months apart.  A pretty small span of time. I assume that the productions didn't overlap each other. Still, the drawings were pretty fresh.


(Click to Enlarge)

1 comment:

Allison said...

wow, that's pretty crazy. I didn't know they did stuff like that! kudos for catching it, I would've never realized O___o;;