Sunday, November 11, 2007

Well Blow Me Down!


I just got the new Popeye set in the mail (along with a bunch of other great DVD's). Boy, do those cartoons take me back! I haven't seen many of these Popeye cartoons since they used to air on Cartoon Network years ago.

Out of any animation studio from the Golden Age, the Fleischer Studio really takes the cake (no offense Disney & Warner Bros.). Their animation is not only visually appealing, but hilarious too. I love it when Popeye yells "WHAM!" when he punches Bluto, it always makes me laugh. Too bad the Fleischers ended up the way they did.

Popeye has to be one of my favorite cartoon characters. The Thimble Theatre strip by Segar is a big inspiration for my own comics & the cartoons have that edge that no other cartoon star could ever surpass.

The cartoons on the DVD are so pristine that they blow me away. Plus many of the cartoons have audio commentaries (my favorite feature!) & cool little "Popumentaries" that go into detail on the characters (Popeye, Olive Oyl, Bluto, Wimpy & Swee'Pea), voices & music of the cartoons. Even my History of Animation professor, Howard Beckerman, appears in one of the documentaries on the set! Awesome!

I've only gotten through the first two discs, but they've been a real treat & I'm looking forward to viewing the last two. It may be a little pricey, but you should at least consider picking up the set. One of the best cartoon DVD's I've ever bought.

The sad thing is I still can't get those catchy tunes out of my head, especially the one from the cartoon Axe Me Another. "I'll do anything that YOU DO!"

No comments: