Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Comic-Con-A-Palooza!

Although Comic-Con ended a few weeks ago, I'm still geeking out over it. I saw so many cool things, bought a truckload of cool books & most importantly, met with a plethora of really awesome people. Friends, colleagues & major inspirations all together under one gigantic roof.

I entered with a full wallet & left with:
- Gag cartoon books by Bill Plympton & Ethan Nicolle
- Ted Mathot's Rose & Isabel & Cora books
- Derek Thompson's 2 DerekMonster sketchbooks
- Eric Goldberg's new sketchbook, Enjoy it While You Can, Kid.
- The Art of Bone (snagged it for only $10!!!)
- 3 copies of What is Torch Tiger? (1 for myself, the other 2 are for friends)
- Steve Purcell's Sam & Max: Surfin' the Highway book
- Stephen Silver's new book: Passion for Life
- First 3 volumes of Val Hochberg's comic Kick Girl
- Doug TenNapel's Monster Zoo
- Chris Sander's 3rd Sketchbook & 2 posters (& a crapload of pins)
- A recycled Happy Beaver t-shirt (self-silkscreened by Jeff Pidgeon)
- Enrico Casarosa's Eisner-award nominated The Venice Chronicles
- And there you are & Paper Biscuit 2 by Ronnie Del Carmen
- A Fone Bone plush & T-shirt
- Jeff Smith's new children's book Little Mouse Gets Ready
- The Cartoonist Jeff Smith Documentary DVD
& a truckload of buttons, rub-on tattoos, business cards, sketches & autographs

I also snagged a set of tiny PVC Bone figures, but sadly I lost them. They weren't costly, but it's still a real bummer. I was really looking forward to having the Bone Cousins sitting on my Animation desk.

Since I really have nothing to say besides things you've probably heard a million times before from other Con goers, I'm just gonna leave you with my "best of" slideshow of pictures. Later on (when my scanner isn't being stupid), I'll post some pages from my Comic-Con sketchbook.


Long story short, it was fun, exciting & expensive. I'm already looking forward to next year!

2 comments:

MB Thomas said...

I've only bought two of the things on your list. Silver's Passion for life and Goldberg's Sketchbook. But I'll get more in depth about that later.

Jimmy Harrigan said...

Judging by the photos, you must've had quite some fun Mike. What was the best part about this year's Comic-Con in your perspective?